Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Colorado Conference

I spent the last week in Denver, Colorado at the Gait & Clinical Movement Analysis Society (GCMAS) annual conference ... I know it is a mouthful. We had a big group from Stanford attending as we ran a tutorial on the OpenSim software and four of us gave podium presentations during the week. I gave a presentation on Thursday entitled, "Accelerations produced by the gastrocnemius and soleus during crouch gait" ... basicallly it was about how we can use dynamic simulations to understand the role of individual muscles during common movement disorders in cerebral palsy. The conference was hosted by the Denver Children's Hospital where I used to work which added another fun component to the conference as I got to visit with them and see their new gait lab at the new hospital.


After the conference my parents came up to Denver for a visit on Saturday. We went to the old house of the "unsinkable Molly Brown" from the Titanic (... it turns out her actual name was Margaret or Maggy but Molly sounded better in the Hollywood song). However, the real excitement came in the afternoon when my mom and I went indoor sky-diving. Basically it is a huge wind-tunnel turned on end. Air rushes up allowing you to float and move around. It was enough work for me to just figure out how to get stable and move forward and backward but our instructor could do flips, dives, and a ton of tricks. It was a ton of fun and although it is expensive I would recommend it to anyone to try once.

1 comment:

Happy Hikers said...

so what is with your cheeks? :)